Skip to main content
main-content

01.03.2018 | Research Article | Ausgabe 9/2018

Clinical and Translational Oncology 9/2018

Adjuvant radiotherapy following pancreaticoduodenectomy for ampullary adenocarcinoma improves survival in node-positive patients: a propensity score analysis

Zeitschrift:
Clinical and Translational Oncology > Ausgabe 9/2018
Autor:
S. K. Kamarajah
Wichtige Hinweise

Electronic supplementary material

The online version of this article (https://​doi.​org/​10.​1007/​s12094-018-1849-9) contains supplementary material, which is available to authorized users.

Abstract

Introduction

This study aimed to evaluate the impact of adjuvant radiotherapy in patients undergoing pancreaticoduodenectomy (PD) for ampullary adenocarcinoma.

Methods

Using the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results, patients with non-metastatic ampullary adenocarcinoma between 2004 and 2013 were identified. Cancer-specific survival and overall survival were estimated using Kaplan–Meier and Cox regression to obtain adjusted hazard ratio of survival.

Results

In this study, 1106 patients with ampullary adenocarcinoma were identified, of which 27% received adjuvant radiotherapy and the remaining 73% (803/1106) patients did not receive any adjuvant radiotherapy. In the matched cohort, there were still no significant difference in CSS (median 41 vs 35, p = 0.28) and OS (median 32 vs 30, p = 0.26) between patients receiving adjuvant radiotherapy and those under observation alone. However, in patients with N2 (Fig. 4) disease, both CSS (median 27 vs 19 months, p = 0.0044) and OS (median 23 vs 17 months, p = 0.0091) were significantly longer for patients receiving adjuvant radiotherapy.

Conclusion

In summary, adjuvant radiotherapy following PD for ampullary adenocarcinoma significantly improves survival in patients with N2 disease. Future studies defining “high-risk” groups using larger cohorts will enable reliable appraisal on the benefit of adjuvant radiotherapy to allow for a more personalized approach in treating patients.

Bitte loggen Sie sich ein, um Zugang zu diesem Inhalt zu erhalten

★ PREMIUM-INHALT
e.Med Interdisziplinär

Mit e.Med Interdisziplinär erhalten Sie Zugang zu allen CME-Fortbildungen und Fachzeitschriften auf SpringerMedizin.de. Zusätzlich können Sie eine Zeitschrift Ihrer Wahl in gedruckter Form beziehen – ohne Aufpreis.

Weitere Produktempfehlungen anzeigen
Zusatzmaterial
Supplementary material 1 (DOCX 517 kb)
12094_2018_1849_MOESM1_ESM.docx
Literatur
Über diesen Artikel

Weitere Artikel der Ausgabe 9/2018

Clinical and Translational Oncology 9/2018 Zur Ausgabe
  1. Das kostenlose Testabonnement läuft nach 14 Tagen automatisch und formlos aus. Dieses Abonnement kann nur einmal getestet werden.

  2. Das kostenlose Testabonnement läuft nach 14 Tagen automatisch und formlos aus. Dieses Abonnement kann nur einmal getestet werden.

Neu im Fachgebiet Onkologie

Mail Icon II Newsletter

Bestellen Sie unseren kostenlosen Newsletter Update Onkologie und bleiben Sie gut informiert – ganz bequem per eMail.

Bildnachweise