Skip to main content
main-content

07.02.2019 | Original Article | Ausgabe 4/2019

Pediatric Cardiology 4/2019

Characteristics and Outcomes of Heart Transplantation in DiGeorge Syndrome

Zeitschrift:
Pediatric Cardiology > Ausgabe 4/2019
Autoren:
Peter Woolman, David W. Bearl, Jonathan H. Soslow, Debra A. Dodd, Cary Thurm, Matt Hall, Brian Feingold, Justin Godown
Wichtige Hinweise

Publisher’s Note

Springer Nature remains neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.

Abstract

DiGeorge syndrome (DGS) is commonly associated with both congenital heart disease (CHD) and immunologic abnormalities. While CHD may prompt consideration for heart transplantation (HTx), little is known about HTx management or outcomes in this group. The aim of this study was to describe the spectrum of patients with DGS who undergo HTx and report post-HTx outcomes. All pediatric HTx recipients (2002–2016) with DGS were identified using ICD codes from a linked billing and clinical registry database. Patient characteristics and outcomes were described and compared to non-DGS HTx recipients with CHD. Kaplan–Meier methods were used to assess overall survival, freedom from infection, and freedom from rejection. A total of 17 patients with DGS who underwent HTx at 12 different centers were included. Median age at HTx was 5 years (IQR 0–13 years). Steroids were used for induction in all patients in addition to thymoglobulin in 13/17 (76%) and IL2R antagonists in 3/17 (18%). Maintenance immunosuppression was a combination of tacrolimus or cyclosporine and mycophenolate or azathioprine in 16/17 (94%). Half received steroids at the time of discharge. There were six deaths (35%). The median post-HTx survival was 5.4 years with no difference in freedom from rejection, infection, or overall survival between patients with and without DGS. Patients with DGS undergoing HTx received standard immunosuppression. We found no difference in freedom from infection, rejection, or overall post-HTx survival compared to non-DGS patients, although the small size of our study resulted in limited statistical power. Given the potential for favorable outcomes, patients with DGS may be considered for HTx in the appropriate clinical setting.

Bitte loggen Sie sich ein, um Zugang zu diesem Inhalt zu erhalten

★ PREMIUM-INHALT
e.Med Interdisziplinär

Für Ihren Erfolg in Klinik und Praxis - Die beste Hilfe in Ihrem Arbeitsalltag als Mediziner

Mit e.Med Interdisziplinär erhalten Sie Zugang zu allen CME-Fortbildungen und Fachzeitschriften auf SpringerMedizin.de.

Alle e.Med Abos bis 30. April 2021 zum halben Preis!

Jetzt e.Med zum Sonderpreis bestellen!

Weitere Produktempfehlungen anzeigen
Literatur
Über diesen Artikel

Weitere Artikel der Ausgabe 4/2019

Pediatric Cardiology 4/2019 Zur Ausgabe
  1. Sie können e.Med Pädiatrie 14 Tage kostenlos testen (keine Print-Zeitschrift enthalten). Der Test läuft automatisch und formlos aus. Es kann nur einmal getestet werden.

Neu im Fachgebiet Kardiologie

Mail Icon II Newsletter

Bestellen Sie unseren kostenlosen Newsletter Update Kardiologie und bleiben Sie gut informiert – ganz bequem per eMail.

Bildnachweise