The online version of this article (https://doi.org/10.1186/s12978-017-0442-y) contains supplementary material, which is available to authorized users.
Female genital mutilation (FGM) is a major public health problem, especially in developing countries.
This was a prospective observational cohort study conducted over six months duration (1st July-31st December 2015) at Omdurman Maternity Hospital, Khartoum, Sudan, primarily to determine whether exposure to FGM/C (exposed Vs. non-exposed) and degree of exposure (type III Vs. type I) are associated with impaired sexual function or not?. As secondary objective, the study also investigated the association between FGM/C and postpartum complications (eg: difficulties in cervical examination, episiotomy wound infection, postpartum bleeding) by following the participants from the time of admission at the hospital, through vaginal delivery and until the 6th post-partum week.
A total of 230 (subjected to FGM/C) and 190 (not subjected to FGM/C) women were approached. The clinical examinations evidenced that the majority (67.8%) had FGM type 3, while the remainder (32.2%) had type 1. The most common reported sexual complication was dyspareunia (76%). Bleeding following first attempt of sexual intercourse was reported in 35.2% followed by reduced sexual desire 62.6%, reduced sexual satisfaction 40.9% and need for surgery to release labial adhesions at first attempt of sexual intercourse 30.4%. With regard to FGM- related complications that occurred during labor 76.5% required an episiotomy, 61.7% experienced difficulties in cervical examination, 57.8% needed defibulations during second stage of labor, 26.5% complicated by episiotomy wound infection and 2.2% developed obstetric hemorrhage. In this study FGM/C was a significant factor increasing the risk of sexual complications. Interestingly when using logistic regression analysis the FGM-related complications were not significantly varied by FGM/C types.
Our observations indicate that FGM/C is a serious public health problem and there should be an urgent intervention such as planned health education campaigns to end FGM/C practice.
Additional file 1: Variables included in the questionnaire. The data include basic charecteristics, FGM typology, sexual function history, complications during second stage of labor and attitudes towards FGM. (DOCX 17 kb)12978_2017_442_MOESM1_ESM.docx
WHO Press: World Health Organisation, Geneva, Switzerland Available from: http://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/fgm/9789241596442/en/index.html. Accessed 13 June 2012.
Bjälkander O, Bangura L, Leigh B, Berggren V, Bergström S, Almroth L. Health complications of female genital mutilation in Sierra Leone. Int J Women’s Health. 2012;4:321–31. CrossRef
Yoder PS, Khan S. Numbers of women circumcised in Africa: the production of a Total. Calverton, Maryland: Macro International Inc; 2007.
UNICEF: Female genital mutilation/cutting: A global concern. 2016: New York. https://www.unicef.org/media/.../FGMC_2016_brochure_final_UNICEF_SPREAD.pdf.
Nour NM. Female genital cutting: a persisting practice. Revs Obstet Gynecol. 2008;1(3):135–9.
World Health Organization (WHO): Female genital mutilation (FGM). World Health Organization; 2008 [http://www.who.int\reproductive-health\fgm\index.html. Accessed September 2].
Ali AA, Okud A, Mohammed AA. Prevalence and factors affecting female genital mutilation in eastern Sudan. Int Gynaecol obstet. 2013;120:288–9. CrossRef
WHO: Female genital mutilation: a joint WHO\UNICEF\UNFPA statement . Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 1997.
WHO: Female genital mutilation (FGM). World Health Organization; 2008 [http://www.who.int\reproductive-health\fgm\index.html. Accessed September 2
Berg RC, Denison E. Does female genitalmutilation/cutting (FGM/C) affect women’s sexual functioning? A systematic review of the sexual consequences of FGM/C. Sex Res Soc Policy. 2012;9(1):41–56. CrossRef
Ibrahim MA, Yasser AH, Mohamed MF, Shahin AY. prevalence and characteristics of female sexual dysfunction in sample of women from upper Egypt. Int j GynecolObstet. 2010;108:219–23.
De Silva S. Obstetric sequelae of female circumcision. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2000;32:233. CrossRef
- Characteristics of female sexual dysfunctions and obstetric complications related to female genital mutilation in Omdurman maternity hospital, Sudan
Hadeel A. Idris
AbdelAziem A. Ali
- BioMed Central
Neu im Fachgebiet Gynäkologie und Geburtshilfe
Meistgelesene Bücher aus dem Fachgebiet
e.Med Kampagnen-Visual, Mail Icon II