Electronic supplementary material
Setting and participants
Thank you for agreeing to participate in this research. I am conducting this interview with you today because you have recently used the cancer information or support service from [name of organisation]. I hope to find out more about the purpose of your contact with their cancer information and support services and how you have used the information you received. I will tape record the interview today, and please remember that you are able to stop this interview at any time and you do not have to answer any questions that you do not want to answer. The interview should take around 45 min. Can you confirm that you are happy to proceed?
Experience in using the CIS
1. What prompted you to access the service?
2. What were you expecting from the service?
3. How many times have you used the service?
4. What was your primary concern(s)?
5. What information or advice were you given?
6. How long did you engage with the service?
Evaluation of the CIS
7. Was your contact with the service helpful? [How or why not?]
8. Was the information you received relevant to your query?
9. Did the service assist you in the way you were hoping?
10. Did you receive any additional information or support that was helpful?
11. Would you recommend this service to others?
Outcomes following the CIS
12. Have you made contact with the support service since you first contacted them?
13. Did you feel more knowledgeable in your/others diagnosis?
14. Please describe anything you have done differently as a result of contact with this service? [eg self-care; writing a list of questions to ask oncologist at next visit]
15. Has this change been positive? [Follow up prompt: If yes, can you give an example. If not, why not?]
16. Have you been clearer about how to communicate with your health care team or informal support network [or that of the person you are caring for]?
17. Has using the CIS changed how distressed you feel about your/or others cancer diagnosis?
18. Have you felt better supported?
19. Would you use a CIS again?
20. Do you feel confident a CIS could address any other information or support needs?
Categorisation of data
Person with cancer
Familial adenomatous polyposis
Carer or family member