Skip to main content
main-content

21.05.2020 | Clinical Study | Ausgabe 2/2020

Journal of Neuro-Oncology 2/2020

Molecular characteristics and clinical features of multifocal glioblastoma

Zeitschrift:
Journal of Neuro-Oncology > Ausgabe 2/2020
Autoren:
Antonio Dono, Emily Wang, Victor Lopez-Rivera, Arvind V. Ramesh, Nitin Tandon, Leomar Y. Ballester, Yoshua Esquenazi
Wichtige Hinweise

Electronic supplementary material

The online version of this article (https://​doi.​org/​10.​1007/​s11060-020-03539-z) contains supplementary material, which is available to authorized users.

Publisher's Note

Springer Nature remains neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.

Abstract

Introduction

Glioblastomas (GBMs) usually occur as a solitary lesion; however, about 0.5–35% present with multiple lesions (M-GBM). The genetic landscape of GBMs have been thoroughly investigated; nevertheless, differences between M-GBM and single-foci GBM (S-GBM) remains unclear. The present study aimed to determine differences in clinical and molecular characteristics between M-GBM and S-GBM.

Methods

A retrospective review of multifocal/multicentric infiltrative gliomas (M-IG) from our institutional database was performed. Demographics, clinical, radiological, and genetic features were obtained and compared between M-GBM IDH-wild type (IDH-WT) vs 193 S-GBM IDH-WT. Mutations were examined by a targeted next-generation sequencing assay interrogating 315 genes.

Results

33M-IG were identified from which 94% were diagnosed as M-GBM IDH-WT, the remaining 6% were diagnosed as astrocytomas IDH-mutant. M-GBM and S-GBM comparison revealed that EGFR alterations were more frequent in M-GBM (65% vs 42% p = 0.019). Furthermore, concomitant EGFR/PTEN alterations were more common in M-GBM vs. S-GBM (36% vs 19%) as well as compared to TCGA (21%). No statistically significant differences in overall survival were observed between M-GBM and S-GBM; however, within the M-GBM cohort, patients harboring KDR alterations had a worse survival (KDR-altered 6.7 vs KDR-WT 16.6 months, p = 0.038).

Conclusions

The results of the present study demonstrate that M-GBM genetically resembles S-GBM, however, M-GBM harbor higher frequency of EGFR alterations and co-occurrence of EGFR/PTEN alterations, which may account for their highly malignant and invasive phenotype. Further study of genetic alterations including differences between multifocal and multicentric GBMs are warranted, which may identify potential targets for this aggressive tumor.

Bitte loggen Sie sich ein, um Zugang zu diesem Inhalt zu erhalten

★ PREMIUM-INHALT
e.Med Interdisziplinär

Für Ihren Erfolg in Klinik und Praxis - Die beste Hilfe in Ihrem Arbeitsalltag als Mediziner

Mit e.Med Interdisziplinär erhalten Sie Zugang zu allen CME-Fortbildungen und Fachzeitschriften auf SpringerMedizin.de.

Weitere Produktempfehlungen anzeigen
Zusatzmaterial
Nur für berechtigte Nutzer zugänglich
Literatur
Über diesen Artikel

Weitere Artikel der Ausgabe 2/2020

Journal of Neuro-Oncology 2/2020 Zur Ausgabe
  1. Sie können e.Med Neurologie & Psychiatrie 14 Tage kostenlos testen (keine Print-Zeitschrift enthalten). Der Test läuft automatisch und formlos aus. Es kann nur einmal getestet werden.

  2. Sie können e.Med Neurologie 14 Tage kostenlos testen (keine Print-Zeitschrift enthalten). Der Test läuft automatisch und formlos aus. Es kann nur einmal getestet werden.

  3. Sie können e.Med Onkologie 14 Tage kostenlos testen (keine Print-Zeitschrift enthalten). Der Test läuft automatisch und formlos aus. Es kann nur einmal getestet werden.

Neu im Fachgebiet Onkologie

Mail Icon II Newsletter

Bestellen Sie unseren kostenlosen Newsletter Update Onkologie und bleiben Sie gut informiert – ganz bequem per eMail.

Bildnachweise