Ping Fang and Liang Li contributed equally to this work.
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
XMX conceived and coordinated the study. L Li designed the experiments, analyzed the data and prepared the manuscript. PF, ZYZ and L Lin performed the experiments, assisted with data analysis and manuscript preparation. WJZ and JH recruited the healthy participants. JZ, WQW, TZY, JSX and YZ recruited the SMA patients and collected the samples. All authors read and approved the final manuscript.
Spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) is caused by SMN1 dysfunction, and the copy number of SMN2 and NAIP can modify the phenotype of SMA. The aim of this study was to analyze the copy numbers and gene structures of SMA-related genes in Chinese SMA patients and unrelated healthy controls.
Forty-two Chinese SMA patients and two hundred and twelve unrelated healthy Chinese individuals were enrolled in our study. The copy numbers and gene structures of SMA-related genes were measured by MLPA assay.
We identified a homozygous deletion of SMN1 in exons 7 and 8 in 37 of 42 patients (88.1%); the other 5 SMA patients (11.9%) had a single copy of SMN1 exon 8. The proportions of the 212 unrelated healthy controls with different copy numbers for the normal SMN1 gene were 1 copy in 4 individuals (1.9%), 2 copies in 203 (95.7%) and 3 copies in 5 (2.4%). Three hybrid SMN genes and five genes that lack partial sequences were found in SMA patients and healthy controls. Distributions of copy numbers for normal SMN2 and NAIP were significantly different (P < 0.001) in people with and without SMA.
The copy numbers and gene structures of SMA-related genes were different in Chinese SMA patients and healthy controls.
Watihayati MS, Zabidi-Hussin AM, Tang TH, Matsuo M, Nishio H, Zilfalil BA. Deletion analyses of SMN1 and NAIP genes in Malaysian spinal muscular atrophy patients. Pediatr Int. 2007;49:4–11. CrossRef
Qu YJ, Ge XS, Bai JL, Wang LW, Cao YY, Lu YY, et al. Association of Copy Numbers of Survival Motor Neuron Gene 2 and Neuronal Apoptosis Inhibitory Protein Gene With the Natural History in a Chinese Spinal Muscular Atrophy Cohort. J Child Neurol. 2014; Epub ahead of print.
Gong B, Zhang L, Hou YP, Hu HY, Li HC, Tan MY, et al. Carrier screening for spinal muscular atrophy in 4719 pregnant women in Shanghai region. Zhonghua Yi Xue Yi Chuan Xue Za Zhi. 2013;30:670–2. PubMed
Alías L, Bernal S, Barceló MJ, Also-Rallo E, Martínez-Hernández R, Rodríguez-Alvarez FJ, et al. Accuracy of marker analysis, quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction, and multiple ligation-dependent probe amplification to determine SMN2 copy number in patients with spinal muscular atrophy. Genet Test Mol Biomarkers. 2011;15:587–94. CrossRefPubMed
Jedrzejowska M, Milewski M, Zimowski J, Borkowska J, Kostera-Pruszczyk A, Sielska D, et al. Phenotype modifiers of spinal muscular atrophy: the number of SMN2 gene copies, deletion in the NAIP gene and probably gender influence the course of the disease. Acta Biochim Pol. 2009;56:103–8. PubMed
Derakhshandeh-Peykar P, Esmaili M, Ousati-Ashtiani Z, Rahmani M, Babrzadeh F, Farshidi S, et al. Molecular analysis of the SMN1 and NAIP genes in Iranian patients with spinal muscular atrophy. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2007;36:937–41. PubMed
- Molecular characterization and copy number of SMN1, SMN2 and NAIP in Chinese patients with spinal muscular atrophy and unrelated healthy controls
- BioMed Central
Neu im Fachgebiet Orthopädie und Unfallchirurgie
Mail Icon II