Skip to main content
main-content

19.08.2016 | Original Scientific Report | Ausgabe 1/2017

World Journal of Surgery 1/2017

Open Abdomen Treated with Negative Pressure Wound Therapy: Indications, Management and Survival

Zeitschrift:
World Journal of Surgery > Ausgabe 1/2017
Autoren:
A. Seternes, L. C. Rekstad, S. Mo, P. Klepstad, D. L. Halvorsen, T. Dahl, M. Björck, A. Wibe
Wichtige Hinweise
Presented at the Seventh World Congress on the Abdominal Compartment Syndrome, Ghent, Belgium, May 2015.

Abstract

Background

Open abdomen treatment (OAT) is a significant burden for patients and is associated with considerable mortality. The primary aim of this study was to report survival and cause of mortality after OAT. Secondary aims were to evaluate length of stay (LOS) in intensive care unit (ICU) and in hospital, time to abdominal closure and major complications.

Methods

Retrospective review of prospectively registered patients undergoing OAT between October 2006 and June 2014 at Trondheim University Hospital, Norway.

Results

The 118 patients with OAT had a median age of 63 (20–88) years. OAT indications were abdominal compartment syndrome (ACS) (n = 53), prophylactic (n = 29), abdominal contamination/second look laparotomy (n = 22), necrotizing fasciitis (n = 7), hemorrhage packing (n = 4) and full-thickness wound dehiscence (n = 3). Eight percent were trauma patients. Vacuum-assisted wound closure (VAWC) with mesh-mediated traction (VAWCM) was used in 92 (78 %) patients, the remaining 26 (22 %) had VAWC only. Per-protocol primary fascial closure rate was 84 %. Median time to abdominal closure was 12 days (1–143). LOS in the ICU was 15 (1–89), and in hospital 29 (1–246) days. Eighty-one (68 %) patients survived the hospital stay. Renal failure requiring renal replacement therapy (RRT) (OR 3.9, 95 % CI 1.37–11.11), ACS (OR 3.1, 95 % CI 1.19–8.29) and advanced age (OR 1.045, 95 % CI 1.004–1.088) were independent predictors of mortality in multivariate analysis. The nine patients with an entero-atmospheric fistula (EAF) survived.

Conclusion

Two-thirds of the patients treated with OAT survived. Renal failure with RRT, ACS and advanced age were predictors of mortality, whereas EAF was not associated with increased mortality.

Bitte loggen Sie sich ein, um Zugang zu diesem Inhalt zu erhalten

★ PREMIUM-INHALT
e.Med Interdisziplinär

Mit e.Med Interdisziplinär erhalten Sie Zugang zu allen CME-Fortbildungen und Fachzeitschriften auf SpringerMedizin.de.

Weitere Produktempfehlungen anzeigen
Literatur
Über diesen Artikel

Weitere Artikel der Ausgabe 1/2017

World Journal of Surgery 1/2017 Zur Ausgabe
  1. Sie können e.Med Chirurgie 14 Tage kostenlos testen (keine Print-Zeitschrift enthalten). Der Test läuft automatisch und formlos aus. Es kann nur einmal getestet werden.

Neu im Fachgebiet Chirurgie

Mail Icon II Newsletter

Bestellen Sie unseren kostenlosen Newsletter Update Chirurgie und bleiben Sie gut informiert – ganz bequem per eMail.

Bildnachweise