Skip to main content

12.11.2018 | Original Article | Ausgabe 2/2019 Open Access

Hernia 2/2019

Risk factors of postoperative complications after emergency repair of incarcerated groin hernia for adult patients: a retrospective cohort study

Hernia > Ausgabe 2/2019
W. Dai, Z. Chen, J. Zuo, J. Tan, M. Tan, Y. Yuan
Wichtige Hinweise
W. Dai and Z. Chen equally contributed to this work.



This study aimed to explore risk factors of postoperative complications for adult patients with incarcerated groin hernia (IGH).


From January 2010 to December 2017, consecutive patients undergoing emergency hernia repair for IGH in our center were retrospectively reviewed. Postoperative complications, such as surgical site infection, seroma, hernia recurrence and mortality, were investigated, with risk factors for such complications analyzed using univariate and multivariate regressions.


Sixty-four patients were included, with 51 males and 13 females (mean age 65.1, range 25–98 years). Ten patients (15.6%) underwent resection of necrotic bowel and anastomosis. 43 patients (67.2%) received open tension-free herniorrhaphy with polypropylene mesh, whereas the rest (32.8%) received herniorrhaphy without mesh. The overall postoperative complication rate was 40.6% (26/64), with an incisional complication rate of 31.2% (20/64) and an infection rate of 6.2% (4/64). At a median follow-up of 32 months, hernia recurrence and mortality were recorded in five cases each (7.8%). Mesh repair was associated with decreased recurrence rate compared with non-mesh repair (2.3% vs. 19.0%, p = 0.019). Diabetes mellitus (OR 8.611, 95%CI 1.292–57.405; p = 0.026) was an independent risk factor of postoperative complications, together with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD; OR 14.365, 95%CI 1.652–127.767, p = 0.016), intestinal necrosis (OR 14.260, 95%CI 1.079–188.460, p = 0.044), and general anesthesia (OR 14.543, 95%CI 1.682–125.711, p = 0.015) as risk for incisional complications after surgery.


Diabetes mellitus was an independent risk factor of postoperative complications for IGH, along with COPD, intestinal necrosis and general anesthesia associated with incisional complications. The use of polypropylene mesh did not increase infection or recurrence rate in this cohort.

Unsere Produktempfehlungen

e.Med Interdisziplinär


Für Ihren Erfolg in Klinik und Praxis - Die beste Hilfe in Ihrem Arbeitsalltag als Mediziner*in

Mit e.Med Interdisziplinär erhalten Sie Zugang zu allen CME-Fortbildungen und Fachzeitschriften auf

Jetzt e.Med zum Sonderpreis bestellen!
Das Angebot gilt nur bis 24.10.2021

e.Med Chirurgie


Mit e.Med Chirurgie erhalten Sie Zugang zu CME-Fortbildungen des Fachgebietes Chirurgie, den Premium-Inhalten der chirurgischen Fachzeitschriften, inklusive einer gedruckten chirurgischen Zeitschrift Ihrer Wahl.

In diesem Herbst 100 € sparen!

Über diesen Artikel

Weitere Artikel der Ausgabe 2/2019

Hernia 2/2019 Zur Ausgabe

Neu im Fachgebiet Chirurgie

Mail Icon II Newsletter

Bestellen Sie unseren kostenlosen Newsletter Update Chirurgie und bleiben Sie gut informiert – ganz bequem per eMail.