Skip to main content
main-content

05.08.2019 | Original Article | Ausgabe 1/2020

Strahlentherapie und Onkologie 1/2020

Twelve-year results of LINAC-based radiosurgery for vestibular schwannomas

Zeitschrift:
Strahlentherapie und Onkologie > Ausgabe 1/2020
Autoren:
MD Paola Anselmo, PhD Michelina Casale, MD Fabio Arcidiacono, MD Fabio Trippa, MD Rossella Rispoli, MD Lorena Draghini, MD Sara Terenzi, MD Alessandro Di Marzo, MD Ernesto Maranzano

Abstract

Purpose

To report long-term outcomes of 53 patients with vestibular schwannomas (VS) submitted to a single high-dose LINAC-based radiosurgery (SRS) in our institution.

Methods

48 (92%) patients were evaluable for clinical and MRI response as well as late toxicity. At a median follow-up of 12 years (range 2–16 years), local control (LC), hearing capacity, trigeminal and facial nerve function, and toxicity were assessed. Hearing capacity was classified according to the Gardner–Robertson scale, where class I–II patients had “serviceable hearing.”

Results

Median dose of SRS was 16.5 Gy (range 13–20 Gy) and median tumor volume 1.7 cm3 (range 0.09–7.4 cm3). 35 (73%) patients were treated with SRS alone, in the remaining 13 (27%) patients, SRS was performed as salvage therapy for recurrent or progressive tumors after previous microsurgery. Before SRS, 44 patients (92%) had hearing loss and 25 (52%) had “non-serviceable” hearing. Tumor extension, classified with Koos categories, was grade I–II in 27 (56%) and grade III–IV in 21 (44%) cases. LC was 100% and hearing preservation in “serviceable hearing” patients was 91%. 4 (11%) patients developed incomplete and intermittent ipsilateral facial nerve palsy which regressed in a median time of 6 months. Trigeminal toxicity was registered in 11 (23%) patients, reversible in 6 (13%) and permanent in 5 (10%). Only Koos tumor grade III–IV significantly influenced late toxicity (p = 0.01).

Conclusion

LC and hearing preservation after SRS were excellent. Toxicity proved acceptable. Although the median administered dose (16.5 Gy) was rather high, the only factor which significantly influenced late toxicity was Koos tumor grade III–IV.

Bitte loggen Sie sich ein, um Zugang zu diesem Inhalt zu erhalten

★ PREMIUM-INHALT
e.Med Interdisziplinär

Mit e.Med Interdisziplinär erhalten Sie Zugang zu allen CME-Fortbildungen und Fachzeitschriften auf SpringerMedizin.de.

Weitere Produktempfehlungen anzeigen
Literatur
Über diesen Artikel

Weitere Artikel der Ausgabe 1/2020

Strahlentherapie und Onkologie 1/2020 Zur Ausgabe
  1. Sie können e.Med Radiologie 14 Tage kostenlos testen (keine Print-Zeitschrift enthalten). Der Test läuft automatisch und formlos aus. Es kann nur einmal getestet werden.

  2. Das kostenlose Testabonnement läuft nach 14 Tagen automatisch und formlos aus. Dieses Abonnement kann nur einmal getestet werden.

  3. Ich möchte die nächsten 3 Hefte kostenlos testen.

    Wenn mir die Zeitschrift gefällt, beziehe ich nach Erhalt der Probeausgaben Strahlentherapie und Onkologie 12x pro Jahr für insgesamt 617 € im Inland (Abonnementpreis 552,80 € plus Versandkosten 64,20 €) bzw. 645,80 € im Ausland (Abonnementpreis 552,80 € plus Versandkosten 93 €).
    Dies entspricht einem Gesamtmonatspreis von 51,42 € im Inland bzw. 53,82 € im Ausland.

    Sollte ich von dieser Zeitschrift nicht überzeugt sein, informiere ich den Leserservice bis spätestens 14 Tage nach Erhalt des 3. Probeheftes.

    Alle genannten Preise verstehen sich inklusive dt. gesetzl. MwSt. In EU-Ländern gilt die jeweilige gesetzliche Mehrwertsteuer. Dadurch kann es ggf. zu Preisabweichungen bei Bestellungen aus dem Ausland kommen.

    Die Abrechnung erfolgt einmal jährlich zu Beginn des Bezugszeitraumes per Rechnung.

    Die Mindestlaufzeit dieses Abonnements beträgt ein Jahr. Das Abonnement verlängert sich automatisch jährlich um jeweils ein weiteres Jahr, wenn es nicht bis spätestens 30 Tage vor Ablauf der Vertragslaufzeit gekündigt wird. Die Kündigung muss in Textform an den Leserservice erfolgen. Es gilt das gesetzliche Mängelhaftungsrecht.
     

    Leserservice
    Springer Nature Customer Service Center
    Tiergartenstr. 15
    69121 Heidelberg
    Tel. 06221 345-4303/Fax: 06221 345-4229
    E-Mail: leserservice@springernature.com
     

Neu im Fachgebiet Onkologie

Mail Icon II Newsletter

Bestellen Sie unseren kostenlosen Newsletter Update Onkologie und bleiben Sie gut informiert – ganz bequem per eMail.

Bildnachweise