Background
Doctor-patient discourse
Rapport management
Methodology
Research questions
Data collection
Number | Percent | ||
---|---|---|---|
Sex | Female | 45 | 45% |
Male | 55 | 55% | |
Age | ≤20 | 1 | 1% |
21–40 | 15 | 15% | |
41–50 | 12 | 12% | |
51–60 | 18 | 18% | |
61–70 | 30 | 30% | |
71–80 | 21 | 21% | |
81–90 | 3 | 3% | |
Familiarity with doctors | All new visits |
Data analysis
Research findings
Illocutionary domain
1. | D: | 平时这个走路啊腿酸麻胀痛吗? Do you feel painful or aching and tingling or numb when you walk? |
2. | (1.5) | |
3. | P: | 不疼 No, not really. |
4. | D: | 不疼吭现在还能出去遛弯吗? Um. Can you still go out for a walk now? |
5. | 就这八十多了= Since you are over eighty= | |
6. | P: | =还能溜这溜啊还能太极呢 =I often stroll around the neighborhood and play tai-chi. |
7. | 啥事没有不用拐杖 I’m fine without crutches. | |
8. | D: | =那那那很好啊(hhenhh) =It’s cool(hhenhh) |
9. | 您这是宝刀未老啊 You are really a treasure knife which does not age. | |
10. | 行行啊没事 Okay, okay. It’s all right. | |
11. | P: | 好啊 Yippee. |
12. | D: | 昂 Well. |
13. | (0.3) | |
14. | 你现在现在整体状况整体状况很好啊 Your overall situation is really good. | |
15. | C: | °是吧 ° °I think so° |
16. | D: | 他现在呢就是主要就是这个就是到了这个年龄啊↑ Now, he has aged into eighty. |
17. | 就是出去遛弯: So, it is especially important to take care of him while out for walks: | |
18. | (1.0) | |
19. | 注意防止摔倒. Look out for falls and fall prevention. | |
20. | 以后出去啊一定拿着呃拿着拐杖= Never leave home without a waking aid, a crutch= | |
21. | P: | =拐杖(hhenhh) = =The crutch (hhenhh)= |
22. | D: | =对对对 =Exactly! No doubt about it! |
23. | 一定拿着拐杖 Make sure to take a crutch | |
24. | (1.0) | |
25. | P: | 那拐着怕丢人 I am afraid of losing face and embarrassing myself |
26. | (.) | |
27. | D: | 呃#你这八十多了呵呵:你这八十多岁了你: Um#You are over eighty:come on, you are over eighty years old! |
27. | 要是腿磕一下 If got a nasty crack on the leg | |
29. | 还敢不拿拐杖吗(hhenhh) Dare you not take a crutch(hhenhh) | |
30. | 虽然还有另外一条腿呢 Although you still have another strong leg | |
31. | 但是咱也不能学丹顶鹤啊(hhenhh) You can’t live like a red-crowned crane(hhenhh) | |
32. | P: | 哈哈哈(hhenhh) Ha ha ha(hhenhh) |
33. | 放心吧一定照做= Don’t worry. I will do that. | |
34. | D: | =哈哈哈(hhenhh) Ha ha ha(hhenhh) |
Discourse domain
1. | D: | 血压高啊你看都160了 Your blood pressure is up to 160 now. |
2. | (1.5) | |
3. | P: | 不高啊就是偶尔才160 It’s as high as 160 only sometimes. |
4. | D: | hh.你走路的时候脚疼不疼啊= hh. Feet hurt when walking? |
5. | P: | =而且我早上起来、午睡后、晚上睡前测得都正常啊 Numbers are normal when I checked in the morning, at noon and before bedtime. |
6. | 就是看到白大褂紧张了 It is you in the white coat that leads to the higher number. | |
7. | D: | 哈哈哈哈 (laughing) |
8. | (4.0) | |
9. | P: | 我脚::我脚上贴着膏药. Feet::Plaster cast on my feet. |
10. | D: | 哦贴着膏药哈,因为我一看你的膝盖好像有点变形啊 Whoa, plaster cast. It seems that the knee shape has changed. |
11. | P: | 我感觉还行啊 I feel good. |
12. | D: | 你这个大姨就是说-如果啥的话想治的话: Aunt, I mean-if you want to heal the knee injury: |
13. | 你得查一下, It’s better to check the cause in detail. | |
14. | 我妈也是这样= My mom had the same condition= | |
15. | =后来拖着就不行了哎 =It dragged on and finally did not pull through. | |
16. | 孩子是疼在心里也是没辙了 My heart aches but there is really no way. | |
17. | P: | 哎 So sorry. |
18. | D: | 我作为孩子辈实在见太多这种例子了 I have seen too many cases as a child and doctor. |
19. | 吭::就特别你这个膝盖,我因为我-你一进来-我看到膝盖变形了. ow::your knees are particularly..because I see its crooked shape as soon as you walked in. | |
20. | 还是尽快做个核磁共振看看吧 It’s better to have MRI as soon as possible. | |
21. | 你看前面几个身体不如你都好了 Several are not as good as you, and all fully restore to health. | |
22. | 身子骨能好得更快 You will recover sooner. | |
23. | 医保也能报销啊 The health insurance also covers it. | |
24. | P: | 行吧 Okay. |
25. | D: | 提前治.不然到后期啊你要再变形再-然后再厉害了 Early intervention works. Otherwise, it will become more serious later. |
26. | 你难受孩子也心疼啊 Your child also feel distressed when you are sick. | |
27. | 到时候就得-换-换膝盖了 knee replacement is the choice when it is far worse= | |
28. | P: | =吓人啊那肯定很疼啊 That’s so scary and painful. |
29. | 行我就听你的! Fine, I follow your treatment plan. |
Participation domain
1. | D: | 如果不吃药啊,很危险. No drugs will definitely put you into danger. |
2. | P: | 这这这十盒药都要三百啊 But..but..but a ten-box supply of medicines costs three hundred Yuan |
3. | 长期吃哪行啊 No, it is not allowed to eat it for a long time. | |
4. | D: | 是是不过大姨咱们吃国产的一样啊 Yes, I know it is a burden. But domestic drugs have the same curative effect. |
5. | 只要能降压就行 As long as it can lower your blood pressure. | |
6. | 吭,脑溢血就麻烦了. This time, however, it could all go wrong with cerebral haemorrhage. | |
7. | P: | 我还是挺正常的,就这两年 I am fine in recent two years. |
8. | D: | 吭大姨作为大夫来说,你整体很好. Ahh. I could give you a a clean bill of health. |
9. | 咱现在条件好,咱不是说没钱啊,每个月拿着这么多退休金 We have a good living condition now. You also enjoy the sufficient pension. | |
10. | 咱得好好活着啊.多看看小孙子小孙女啊 Live your life. Spend more time with your grandchildren. | |
11. | 不能说我不把这个东西当回事儿, You cannot disregard for life. | |
12. | 大姨你说,我高的时候一百五, As you say, its only one hundred high. | |
13. | 我低的时候一百三十多,这个就不用管了. It is only one hundred and thirteen low and therefore we can dispense with it. | |
14. | 你就不用吃药了. Then you don’t have to take medicine. | |
15. | 但是你现在是什么问题啊, But the point is that, | |
16. | 高的时候一百六七了,这就不行了. the blood pressure is as high as one hundred sixty or seventy. It’s risky. | |
17. | P: | 也是啊,俺还要看小孙女嘞 Well, I’m blessed to watch my granddaughter grow up. |
18. | 身体不能不行. Fitness is foremost. |
1. | D: | 对对对,因为您这个年龄啊,咱一定要睡眠质量好 Oh, yeah, yeah. Must ensure you get enough good-quality sleep. |
2. | 不然的话,咱这个心脑血管儿这个疾病的风险= Otherwise, the risk of cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases is= | |
3. | P: | =我去年吃安定了感觉没事了啊 =I ate some antipsychotic last year and that’s fine. |
4. | D: | 啊对对对,你吃安定这不是个长[法儿 Yes, yes. Antipsychotic is not a long-term solution. |
5. | 安定吃多了还会骨折啊 Antipsychotic could cause fractures. | |
6. | 这个年纪可摔不起啊 You can not afford to fall down at this age. | |
7. | P: | 也是啊一把年纪了 Well, I am getting on a bit now. |
Stylistic domain
1. | D: | 来,大姨坐到凳子上. Come on, auntie, seat down please. |
2. | P: | 哦,好::: Ah, fine::: |
3. | (4.0) | |
4. | P: | 谢谢啊, Oh, thank you. |
5. | D: | 行,大姨. Okay, auntie. |
1 | D: | 来,大叔坐到凳子上. Come on, uncle, seat here please. |
2. | (清嗓子) (clear throat) | |
3. | (4.0) | |
4. | 平时有手麻或者头晕吗? Have you usually experienced hand numbness or dizzy? | |
5. | P: | 没有. Nope. |
6. | P: | 好好,谢谢. Alright, thanks. |
7. | D: | 哎,没事儿. That’s no problem. |
1. | D: | 对.然后老师您这个呢,先::不要乱做按摩. That’s right. Laoshi, you would better now::don’t take a massage. |
2. | 吭钱也没少花. It really, cost a bundle. | |
3. | D: | 吭,咱不能说老师您这儿::整天这治那治,现在 Yet, we can not::try medication here and there, now |
4. | 目前来说,就是效果不好. For now, treatment effect is not good. | |
5. | D: | 行老师,建议做核磁,不着急. Okay, laoshi. I suggest nuclear magnetic resonance, not in a rush. |
6. | 您这个回去看看. Take a moment to think about it. | |
7. | 咱说看清楚了,咱咱说怎么治. Get familiar with your case, and then turn to the treatment plan. | |
8. | P: | 嗯.Hum. |
9. | D: | 对对对.Yes. |