Skip to main content
main-content

13.11.2014 | Original Article | Ausgabe 2/2017

Indian Journal of Surgical Oncology 2/2017

A Prospective Study of Level IIB Nodal Metastasis (Supraretrospinal) in Clinically N0 Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma in Indian Population.

Zeitschrift:
Indian Journal of Surgical Oncology > Ausgabe 2/2017
Autoren:
Yogen P. Chheda, Sundaram K. Pillai, Devendra G. Parikh, Nandy Dipayan, Shakuntala V. Shah, Gupta Alaknanda

Abstract

Oral cavity carcinoma is the most common cancer in Indian population. Metastatic nodal disease is the most important prognostic factor for oral cancers. In head and neck cancers with clinically N0 neck, standard selective neck dissection is performed by protecting the spinal accessory nerve to remove level IIA & IIB lymph nodes. The purpose of this study was to analyze the significance of level IIB dissection in patients of oral cavity cancer who underwent primary surgery with functional neck dissection. Two hundred ten patients with clinically N0 neck underwent neck dissection, where level IIB lymph nodes were dissected, labelled and processed separately. Among 210 patients of clinically N0 neck, 168 patients were pathologically N0 (80 %). Out of remaining 42 (20 %), 36 (17.14 %) were pN1 and 6 (2.86 %) were pN2. Among those with pN1 (36), level IB was involved in 24 patients (66.67 %) and level IIA was involved in 12 patients (33.33 %). Only 2 patients had involvement of level IIB lymph nodes. Among 6 patients of pN2 disease, 4 patients had simultaneous involvement of level IB and level IIA lymph nodes. Remaining 2 patients had isolated involvement of level III lymph nodes. Thus only 2 patients (< 1 %) out of 210 clinically N0 oral squamous cell carcinoma showed level IIB lymph node involvement. Thus we conclude that a frozen section of level 2a is advisable to decide the need for level 2b node dissection in clinically N0 neck as the sensitivity of clinical evaluation is extremely low.

Bitte loggen Sie sich ein, um Zugang zu diesem Inhalt zu erhalten

★ PREMIUM-INHALT
e.Med Interdisziplinär

Mit e.Med Interdisziplinär erhalten Sie Zugang zu allen CME-Fortbildungen und Fachzeitschriften auf SpringerMedizin.de. Zusätzlich können Sie eine Zeitschrift Ihrer Wahl in gedruckter Form beziehen – ohne Aufpreis.

Weitere Produktempfehlungen anzeigen
Literatur
Über diesen Artikel

Weitere Artikel der Ausgabe 2/2017

Indian Journal of Surgical Oncology 2/2017 Zur Ausgabe
  1. Das kostenlose Testabonnement läuft nach 14 Tagen automatisch und formlos aus. Dieses Abonnement kann nur einmal getestet werden.

  2. Das kostenlose Testabonnement läuft nach 14 Tagen automatisch und formlos aus. Dieses Abonnement kann nur einmal getestet werden.

Neu im Fachgebiet Chirurgie

Mail Icon II Newsletter

Bestellen Sie unseren kostenlosen Newsletter Update Chirurgie und bleiben Sie gut informiert – ganz bequem per eMail.

Bildnachweise