Skip to main content
main-content

13.09.2017 | Original Article | Ausgabe 6/2017

International Journal of Legal Medicine 6/2017

Frequency and influencing factors of cardiopulmonary resuscitation-related injuries during implementation of the American Heart Association 2010 Guidelines: a retrospective study based on autopsy and postmortem computed tomography

Zeitschrift:
International Journal of Legal Medicine > Ausgabe 6/2017
Autoren:
Rutsuko Yamaguchi, Yohsuke Makino, Fumiko Chiba, Suguru Torimitsu, Daisuke Yajima, Go Inokuchi, Ayumi Motomura, Mari Hashimoto, Yumi Hoshioka, Tomohiro Shinozaki, Hirotaro Iwase
Wichtige Hinweise

Electronic supplementary material

The online version of this article (https://​doi.​org/​10.​1007/​s00414-017-1673-8) contains supplementary material, which is available to authorized users.

Abstract

Aim

To determine the frequency of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)-related injuries and factors involved in their occurrence, data based on forensic autopsy and postmortem computed tomography (PMCT) during implementation of the 2010 American Heart Association Guidelines for CPR were studied.

Methods

We retrospectively evaluated data on adult patients with non-traumatic deaths who had undergone manual CPR and autopsy from January 2012 to December 2014. CPR-related injuries were analyzed on autopsy records and PMCT images and compared with results of previous studies.

Results

In total, 180 consecutive cases were analyzed. Rib fractures and sternal fractures were most frequent (overall frequency, 66.1 and 52.8%, respectively), followed by heart injuries (12.8%) and abdominal visceral injuries (2.2%). Urgently life-threatening injuries were rare (2.8%). Older age was an independent risk factor for rib fracture [adjusted odds ratio (AOR), 1.06; 95% confidence interval (CI), 1.04–1.08; p < 0.001], ≥ 3 rib fractures (AOR, 1.06; 95% CI, 1.02–1.09; p = 0.002), and sternal fracture (AOR, 1.03; 95% CI, 1.01–1.05; p < 0.001). Female sex was significantly associated with sternal fracture (AOR, 2.08; 95% CI, 1.02–4.25; p = 0.04). Chest compression only by laypersons was inversely associated with rib and sternal fractures. Body mass index and in-hospital cardiac arrest were not significantly associated with any complications. The frequency of thoracic skeletal injuries was similar to that in recent autopsy-based studies.

Conclusions

Implementation of the 2010 Guidelines had little impact on the frequency of CPR-related thoracic skeletal injuries or urgently life-threatening complications. Older age was the only independent factor related to thoracic skeletal injuries.

Bitte loggen Sie sich ein, um Zugang zu diesem Inhalt zu erhalten

★ PREMIUM-INHALT
e.Med Interdisziplinär

Mit e.Med Interdisziplinär erhalten Sie Zugang zu allen CME-Fortbildungen und Fachzeitschriften auf SpringerMedizin.de. Zusätzlich können Sie eine Zeitschrift Ihrer Wahl in gedruckter Form beziehen – ohne Aufpreis.

Jetzt e.Med bestellen und 100 € sparen!

Zusatzmaterial
Literatur
Über diesen Artikel

Weitere Artikel der Ausgabe 6/2017

International Journal of Legal Medicine 6/2017 Zur Ausgabe

Neu im Fachgebiet Rechtsmedizin

01.02.2020 | Forensische Begutachtung | CME | Ausgabe 1/2020

Diagnose einer gewaltsamen Erstickung

Teil 1: Reevaluation der Spezifität makroskopischer und histomorphologischer Befunde

27.01.2020 | Schwerpunkt: Lunge | Ausgabe 1/2020

Immunhistochemiebasierte prädiktive Biomarker bei Lungenkarzinomen

27.01.2020 | Schwerpunkt: Lunge | Ausgabe 1/2020

Zytologie der primären Lungenkarzinome